21st Nov 2017 8:25:14 AM

The Charities | The Children | Dorah Mokoena | Health | Schools / Training | Community / Diaries | Regional Reports | UMashesha
Home
Unmask Internet Scams
Place of Miracles
Donations
Please Don't
Do you need help?
Monopoly Moonwalk.
Great Fire 350
Plastics poison fires
Mt Cameroon Climb
News Index
Media Articles
Kilimanjaro climb
Defamation
Radio Adverts
Stoves, Candleholders
Bad Social Workers
Radio Interview
How Can I Help
Honours
Cycle Ride
Volunteer's View
Useful Links
Help Needed
Thank You to:
Other Languages
Class Action Appeal
UK Donations
More about COFI
Appeal
Newsletter
Johannesburg's Annual Chocolate Fest
Soweto Fire
Central Africa
North African office
Safety Infomercials
Alex fires
Research
Transport
Amangwane
Useful Reading
Vacancies
Drakensberg Trip
UNAids
Rural Outreach
Volunteers Notebook
Disaster Recovery
Bags
Work Experience
Exploding gas fridge leaves Kliptown family destitute







Pushing your refrigerator too close to the wall is a mistake.
Fridges keep cold inside but their rear panels are hot.
They need space for ventilation like all appliances with heated or moving parts.

Even turning a gas fridge off at night in winter doesn't prevent hot panels from heating flammable materials nearby.
And if your home is a small shack where more floor space needs to be made at night for four adults to sleep, then furniture gets pushed right into the corners.
For a shack built of glue-impregnated wood fibreboard with only a corrugated iron roof, it is more flammable than ever.

Lungelo Chiliza (37) is lucky to have survived the gas fridge explosion in the early hours of this morning.
The gas cylinder was turned off but there was enough gas left in the pipe to explode.

He and his three younger brothers Zanele 21, Thokozani 23, Mtobisi 24, escaped unscathed, but the unemployed siblings lost all that they own.
Recently-elected ANC ward councillor Pam Sibanyoni phoned Children of Fire for help.

Within two hours of the call, the charity was at Dorren Road, Kliptown, with disaster recovery supplies including clothes, wash things, food, saucepans and blankets.
Recently arrived from the UK, disaster management graduate Stephen Bassett (32) said: "I am proud to be an UMashesha volunteer who can respond quickly when people are in need."
"These young men are very fortunate to be alive."
UMashesha Abegail Ximba (28) said: "Please don't cover anything that needs ventilation. Don't put cloths over televisions or computers; keep your fridges away from walls. Think safety all the time."
She added: "No one was hurt, but if the gas cylinder was still turned on there would have been four brothers dead in Kliptown today." [23 May 2011]






book marktell a friendprint page
This material is Copyright The Dorah Mokoena Charitable Trust and/or Children of Fire , 1998-2017.
Distribution or re-transmission of this material, excluding the Schools' Guide, is expressly forbidden without prior permission of the Trust.
For further information, email firechildren@icon.co.za